History (Grade 8) - Canada, 1890-1914: A Changing Society
Grade 8 students examine the social and economic factors, technological advances, and individuals and groups that promoted change in Canada between 1885 and the beginning of the First World War in 1914. They investigate the social and political challenges of increased migration and settlement, rapid industrialization, Canada’s changing role in the British Empire, and Canadian-American relations.
- The Great War (J 940.371 LIV)
- Canada at War (J 971.06 KIR )
- The 1910s (J 971.056 CRA )
- Canada: The People (J 970 KAL 2002 )
- Coming to Canada: Building a Life in a New Land (J 971.004 HUG )
- The 1900s (J 971.056 SAL )
- Women of the Suffrage Movement (J 324.623092273 BJO )
- Wilfred Laurier (J 971.056092 LAURI-S 2000 )
- The Kids Books of Canadian Prime Ministers (J 971.0099 HAN )
- Canada on the World Stage: 1914-1945 (J 971.06 KEN)
Time of Turmoil (J 971.06320922 BAL)
From the series, ’Prime Ministers of Canada’ highlights key political events and contributions of Prime Ministers during the time of Confederation to 1896, Turn of the 20th century (1896-1920), and mid 20th century to the present.
Turn of the 20th Century (J 971.0560922 CLI)
Special features include a Timeline, a Did You Know? section as well as a classroom debate activity ’Analyzing Propaganda’. Also includes a Further Research section, Glossary and Political Terms section.
- Women Suffragists (J 324.623092273 HEL)
- Unite du Canada (J FRENCH 971 UNI)
- The Japanese Internment (J 971.00495 JAP)
- Sir Wilfrid Laurier: The Weakling Who Stood His Ground (J 971.056092 LAURI-S)
- Desperate Glory: The Story of WW1 (J 940.371 WIL)
- The Two Great Wars (J 940.3 SCO)
The Komagata Maru and Canada’s Anit-Indian Immigration Policies in the Twentieth Century (J 325.25409 HIC)
In 1914, Canada was a very British society with anti-Asian attitudes. Although Great Britain had declared that all people from India were officially British citizens and could live anywhere in the BritishCommonwealth, Canada refused to accept them.
Other items on similar subjects can be found in the same call number areas.
- Middle Search
Go to Expert Help, then SkillSurfer, followed by Elementary-Ontario, Grade 8 History and Geography
- Explora Canada Student Search 6-12
- Immigrants to Canada (www.ist.uwaterloo.ca/~marj/genealogy/thevoyage.html)
- Dictionary of Canadian Biography Online (www.biographi.ca/index2.html)
- Canada and the First World War (www.collectionscanada.ca/firstworldwar/index-e.html)
- Canadian Labour History 1850 - 1999 (www.civilization.ca/cmc/exhibitions/hist/labour/lab01e.shtml)