History (Grade 8) - Canada: A Changing Society
Grade 8 students examine the social and economic factors, technological advances, and individuals and groups that promoted change in Canada between 1885 and the beginning of the First World War in 1914. They investigate the social and political challenges of increased migration and settlement, rapid industrialization, Canada’s changing role in the British Empire, and Canadian-American relations.
- The Penguin book of Canadian biography for young readers: early Canada (J REF 971.0099 HAN)
- The Great War (J 940.371 LIV)
- World Affairs: Defining Canada’s Role (J 971.06 WOR )
- Canada at war (J 971.06 KIR )
- The men who marched away : Canada’s infantry in World War I, 1914-1918 (J 940.41271 STE )
- The 1910’s (J 971.056 CRA )
- Canada. The people (J 970 KAL 2002 )
- Coming to Canada: building a life in a new land (J 971.004 HUG )
- The 1900’s (J 971.056 SAL )
- Flashback Canada (J 971 CRU 2000 )
- Women of the suffrage movement (J 324.623092273 BJO )
- Wilfred Laurier (J 971.056092 LAURI-S 2000 )
- The kids books of Canadian prime ministers (J 971.0099 HAN )
- Defining Canada’s Role (J 971.06 WOR)
Time of Turmoil (J 971.06320922 BAL)
From the series, ’Prime Ministers of Canada’ highlights key political events and contributions of Prime Ministers during the time of Confederation to 1896, Turn of the 20th century (1896-1920), and mid 20th century to the present.
Turn of the 20th Century (J 971.0560922 CLI)
Special features include a Timeline, a Did You Know? section as well as a classroom debate activity ’Analyzing Propaganda’. Also includes a Further Research section, Glossary and Political Terms section.
- Women Suffragists (J 324.623092273 HEL)
- Unite du Canada (J FRENCH 971 UNI)
- Sir Wilfrid Laurier (J 971.056092 LAURI-S)
- Desperate Glory The Story of WW1 (J 940.371 WIL)
The Two Great Wars (J 940.3 SCO)
Other items on similar subjects can be found in the same call number areas.
- The Peopling of Canada: 1821 - 1921 (www.ucalgary.ca/applied_history/tutor/canada1891/)
- Immigrants to Canada (www.ist.uwaterloo.ca/~marj/genealogy/thevoyage.html)
- Dictionary of Canadian Biography Online (www.biographi.ca/index2.html)
- Canada and the First World War (www.collectionscanada.ca/firstworldwar/index-e.html)
- The First World War (www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/history/firstwar)
- Canadian Labour History 1850 - 1999 (www.civilization.ca/cmc/exhibitions/hist/labour/lab01e.shtml)
- The Famous Five (epe.lac-bac.gc.ca/100/206/301/lac-bac/famous_five-ef/www.lac-bac.gc.ca/famous5/index-e.html)